I feel like I've seen it all this past week, with the trends of the summer and the proposed trends of summer 2010 washing over me like the Atlantic tide. Here are a few of the most popular Miami Fashion Week Swim trends I spotted a-splishing and a-splashing at the Raleigh. Most were good, some were bad, some I couldn't escape if I had tried (see #9).
1. Revealing rompers were all the rage from Seven for all Mankind denim to flowery Shoshanna and bold and silky Anna Sui. Showing off their spray-tanned gams, all of the rompered girls were ready to beach rock n' roll.
2. Some women wore chunky wedges (myself included), others wore sky high wooden heels, espadrilles and Havaianas. The smart and stylish girls wore Studded gladiator flats that looked glamorous and kept them from sinking in the sand while leaving their tootsies callous-free.
3. Neon pink toes - Essie's Flirty Fuscia. I saw a crew of drunk bachelorettes sporting this high-voltage shade on their toes a few weeks ago and initially thought it looked kind of tacky. After seeing the neon painted on perfectly pedicured toes all week long, I'm having second thoughts.
4. Bright, bold printed tunics, coverups, mini and maxi dresses. Long or short, they all looked resort-ready chic. One of my favorites - this Poolside Splash Cover-up from Tibi.
5. Drunk people. When in Miami, do as the Miamians do. Miamians love their tropical drinks, and colorful tequila cocktails and goodie bags filled with mini Chambord bottles made it easy for folks to get plastered poolside and inside the tents. *Warning: Do not come to Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim if you are a recovering alcoholic.
6. Wristbands. Orange, Lime, Red or Black, if you had a wristband on it meant you either came from someplace fabulous or were going to someplace fabulous. Wristbands did not look cool on hungover chicks with smeared makeup doing the walk-of-shame before noon the next morning.
7. Embellished belts. Adding shape to shapeless minis, worn with rompers, tunics, short shorts and jeans, pretty belts with metallic hardware were high-waisted all over the beach Oasis. My most-wanted? This stunner of a belt from Miu Miu.
8. Printed Headscarves. Lots of headscarves in standout island prints and vibrant colors like this Bamboo Scarf from DVF. Instead of covering your scalp Axel Rose style, weave and wrap around your forehead for a look right off the runway.
9. America's Next Top Model Cycle 7 contestant Anchal Joseph. Seriously guys, she was everywhere.
10. Cellulite. Yes ladies, even models have it.